Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

He Puts Pen To Paper

Resolved: That the consumption of alcohol by minors leads to inappropriate actions.

Contingent 1:
Last night.
I went over to his place, where the drinks were already made.
He was waiting for me.
I believe vodka has an adverse taste.

Contingent 2:
We took a shot of what could have been nail polish remover-
I hear they're practically the same-
and chased it with more of the same.
Production was sidelined for video games.

Contingent 3:
After orange juice and pink lemonade,
I certainly was open to anything.
Meaning, I believe I professed my love to him.

But! there are things to be said to the contrary.

1:
The drinks, though bad,
gave openness to our conversation.

2:
For a holiday, what could be more productive,
more American, than to drink and play?

3:
At least now he knows I love him,
and that is certainly something.

And although I drink to get drunk.
And although I hate the taste.
And although they had more fun,
in the spray of a sprinkler chase.
There is something worthwhile in being close.
There is something of note to note.
That although we make some mistakes,
acknowledging our loves was not one last night.

3 comments:

  1. i don't get this one. is it two poems?? are they related??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! Yes, it's two poems, but the second one is kinda like a reply to the first

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll fix it!

    ReplyDelete