Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Dance with Daniel

We live in a world of pretense.

You expect something of me.

When we walk,
when we talk
we are judging.

We love categories.

But not with him.

With him I dance.

I know the steps,
like they've been there all along.
The steps are me,
something so familiar but frightening.
And when I'm with him I don't think
of which steps to take;
I feel,
like when I feel the music I dance to.
With him I do not pretend.

He knows who I am,
and that is refreshing.
This is not a tango we dance,
it is more like a pas-
it's slow and entirely open.

If he places me in a category
it is not to tell me that category
is somehow unacceptable.
When he judges me,
he deems me worthwhile.

He won't read this,
for that I'm happy.
But I wish I could tell him:
thank you for dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment